Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Best Groundhog's Day Present Ever

A snow day!!!


What more could I ask for on this mid-winter holiday than lots of snow, an office shutdown, and a new sewing machine??? Oh yeah, electricity. Since moving to Maine I've come to appreciate ongoing electrical power during a storm having had multiple winter storms that have knocked out power for a couple of days. Sewing and music certainly would not be a part of this day if not for those wonderful electrons streaming through the lines to this house. There would be knitting and a woodstove though so all would not be lost, but I digress...


Started on Elizabeth Hartman's Crazy Nine Patch from Oh Fransson a couple of days ago but really got a chance to sink my pressor foot into it this morning. So fun but learned the hard way to pay attention. This pattern uses nine different squares and, if done correctly, each block should have one square of each fabric. First time around, that didn't quite happen. Second batch (out of three) of squares, I used my iPhone to take a pic of the top square before making the cut which helped out tremendously because by the time all nine squares are stitched and the seams are ironed, there are a number of ways one can get the stack out of order. Here's some of the squares in a rough configuration of the pattern (minus the carpet).

Did I mention that J. made corn pancakes for breakfast? They were so good! The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen, a wonderful cooking blog. Obviously, not fresh corn season so she used frozen which worked just fine.


Here's what it looks like out front
and the pile on the garage roof (so far) as seen from my craft room.
Back to patches...





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! I love those nine-patch squares!

    ReplyDelete